It’s not hard to see why at-home snap-on veneer kits have become so popular. They promise instant gratification at a very low cost, easily transforming your less-than-ideal smile into a bright white one, worthy of any red carpet appearance.
But while custom, lab-fabricated porcelain veneers can indeed create beautiful results non-invasively, that’s not quite the case with snap-on options.
- Because snap-on veneers are designed to fit over your teeth without any enamel being removed, they can look bulky and fit poorly. This unnatural fit can also make it really hard to talk or eat.
- Even if you can eat with snap-ons, the cheap plastic or resin they’re often made with can break easily under the forces of chewing.
- You won’t be able to drink coffee, tea, or other hot beverages while wearing most snap-on veneers either. Most are made of materials that soften when exposed to hot liquid.
- The aesthetics can be problematic. Snap-on veneers can look unreal. Look too closely, for instance, and you may notice that there aren’t any gaps between the teeth. That’s because the snap-on is fabricated from a single piece of material. The color may also be far too bright for your complexion, so the teeth look blindingly white. This, along with the bulkiness, can give you the dreaded “chiclet teeth” look.
- Most seriously, snap-on veneers can raise your risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Bits of food can get trapped between the snap-ons and your natural teeth. Biofilm can build up. You have to really be on top of your home hygiene to prevent problems like this. That includes not only brushing twice a day and flossing once, but also cleaning the snap-ons themselves twice a day, as well.
Downsides like these far outweigh the benefits of mail order snap-on veneers. At best, good fitting ones can provide a trial run for what real veneers might look like, helping you decide whether or not you want to make the bigger investment in custom dental veneers.
Yes, these professionally-made veneers do cost more, but there are good reasons for that:
- They are custom designed so your teeth look completely natural, being the right shape, size, and shade for your smile as a whole, complementing your facial features.
- They are made from either composite resin or porcelain. Composite is slightly less expensive, but porcelain delivers the most realistic-looking results. All the veneers we place in our office are also biocompatible. Any composites we use are both fluoride-free and BPA-free.
- They are cemented onto teeth that the dentist has carefully prepared for optimal bonding and appearance. Because no dental materials are as good as your natural tooth structure, we aim to be as conservative as possible in removing just enough enamel to ensure a good fitting.
Veneers are a popular and effective way to correct a wide variety of cosmetic dental issues, including stained, misshapen, or slightly crooked, or chipped teeth. They can also be used to cover unsightly gaps or to improve the shape of teeth that look too small or large in relation to others.
And when they’re done with biological principles in mind, as they are here in our holistic Rancho Bernardo office, the results can be absolutely sublime.